Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group - October edition



How is it October already?  This year feels like it's just flying by...

For this month's Insecure Writer's Support Group post, I want to talk about the insecurity that comes with comparisons.

I have a fabulous group of fellow authors in my local RWA chapter, and one of the great things about interacting with everyone is that I get to hear about their projects and ideas and so on.  A few of the authors work on multiple books at once, and so they always have several manuscripts in progress at any given time.

I do not do this.

I work on one book at a time.  I have ideas brewing while I'm writing, but I'm too afraid that if I stop working on one book to start another, I will never return to that original book again.  Ergo, I don't veer from my course.

Sometimes I feel a bit insecure because it seems like everyone else is writing, writing, writing, being super-productive and finishing multiple books a year, whereas I am plodding along, lucky to get two books done in a year.

Do I worry that I'm not productive enough?  Yes.

Do I worry that if when I get published, I won't be able to deliver enough content to keep the readers interested, since it is unlikely I'll be able to release more than 2 books a year?  Sure.  But what a great problem to have, right?

According to Kierkegaard, comparison is the root of unhappiness.  I know this, and yet it's difficult to stop using other people's productivity as a yardstick for my own.  Something for me to work on, I guess...

Does anyone else do this?  It's okay if you don't--I'm used to being weird. :)

4 comments:

  1. I am a slow writer too, but I think if your books are wonderful, people will wait to read them :)

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I might have once upon a time, but not anymore.

    I marching to the beat of my own drummer...

    Just remember with the shift in the publishing industry, there's room for everyone, no matter what or how quickly you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true... Always important to remember!

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)